"I'd take pleasure in guttin' you, boy."

(and now back to our regularly scheduled programming)

If you love fishing, you are probably an outdoorsy kinda person. If your an outdoorsy kinda person, you are probably the owner of at least a few pieces of outdoorsy cutlery. They may be unexceptional utilitarian pieces of sharp steel that cut what you put them to and that is about as exciting as it gets. Or, you might be in a little deeper than you would like to admit.

When you have to get tactical and go medieval on nature's ass, you are most likely going to need a good blade.



Pokers, priers, slicers, skinners, gutters and stabbers:
Whether you are chopping down saplings to fashion a raft, taking on a grizzly in hand to hand combat, or carving a hole to shotgun your beer, there is a knife for you.

I remember when I was a kid and my dad carried around an Uncle Henry 3 blade folder which he used for everything. I could never understand how he managed to keep that thing as sharp as it was.

Having a sharp blade is obviously very important. A dull knife is not only super annoying, but also dangerous as it takes more effort to cut, which can lead to accidents. And if you take the time to pack a blade with you into the wilderness, you might as well bring something that can take some abuse. There are a lot of $30-$50 knives made by the likes of Gerber, Buck, Cold Steel, and SOG that are worth every penny. Take that Taiwanese-Turd out of your pack and throw it away before you hurt yourself with it.

The other side of the spectrum.
Some knives are not meant to cut. The one below was a gift from my father on my last birthday. It was made by Don Norris, a Tucson local who passed away recently. Damascus steel, with Mastodon tusk handle plates. You read right folks, Mastodon tusk. Not a lot of that lying around.

This is a collector, for sure. Thanks pops.

I always carry a knife with me, wherever I go. Recently I put down my Severtech Auto (which really needs a sharpening), for a digital camo Spyderco Military. The Spyderco is new, and it easily removed hair from my arm. I have always said that you don't really 'own' a knife until you cut yourself with it.... I am not looking forward to owning this one, as much as I like cutting the crap out of myself.


Thank Christ they left the black blade coating off this one, a little silver glare is your only hope finding it after your drunk ass (or most likely my drunk ass) loses it in the woods. It may be good to make use of the lanyard hole on this one.

So folks, what are your favorite blades? What do you like to carry into to great yonder?

-Alex who 'owns' many knives, some that aren't even his.

No comments:

Post a Comment