The Spanish Shotgun

The gun below is a 20 Gauge AYA #2  with 26 3/4 inch barrels choked .003 &.006 .In other words light skeet and almost IC. perfect for what I got it for , Mearns Quail.This is the first Spanish gun I have owned, as I have been busy hoarding British guns  which in my mind are the perfect Side by Side. However to me the drawbacks are  price and chambers as most Briish guns are chambered for  2 1/2 loads so some planning has to go into shell purchases as you are not going find 2 1/2 loads in Woodward Oklahoma or South America . A British side lock is going to cost a lot more than what you would  pay for a Spanish Gun. This little AYA boasts  nice wood ,great case coloring and after having the stock bent  it points well.Weight wise the gun comes in at around  6 pounds,truly a joy to carry in the field.
I received the gun  towards the end of the season, so I had about two weeks to bond with it and  was a little concerned with the shorter barrels which I found really did not make any difference as most shots where in tight Mearns cover. My  "Zen"experience with the gun is the first and last birds shot with it involved some stellar dog work from my youngsters , namely Cruz ,Tish and Speck .
The loads I shoot are all 2 3/4 inch  7/8 ounce which the gun handles well.
                                        The AYA & Mearns Quail






No comments:

Post a Comment