Coffee Creek, CA Fly Fishing Report

Dan Wallentine
Irvine, CA

Body of Water:
Coffee Creek (Trinity County, California)
Date: Sunday, July 26, 2009
# of Fish Caught: 17
Species: Rainbow Trout
Size: Up to 11"
Effective Flies: #10 Royal Stimulator with droppers including #14 Prince Nymph and red Copper John droppers
Summary: For most of the details of this location and day of fishing see Sean's report below; no need to submit duplicate info.

I have always enjoyed secluded mountain streams with the constant sounds of the water and cooperative native fish. Coffee Creek is one of those special places. Sometimes those special places hold surprises too.

Toward the end of the day I was fishing the left side of the stream while Sean was fishing the right. We were in a sort of zone; catching a releasing numerous small fish. As I was moving up to the next pocket my foot slipped off of a rock with a thud and instantly there was a loud shoreline rattle; a short rattle in time but loud nonetheless. It took me a moment to gather my attention and at the same time Sean said, "what was that?"
"It sounded like a rattlesnake," I responded. Then looking to my left, sure enough there he was slithering along the bank away from me. Needless to say, our fishing was interrupted while we photographed and filmed it. In thirty years of fishing this is only my second encounter with a rattler. The first was along Deep Creek in the Lake Arrowhead area of Southern California.

So, be careful and alert when entering and exiting the water there are more native creatures than just the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment