Bear Grylls bit my fish!


From John Ng, Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters Shop Pro








I fished a few weeks back and just remembered about this photo I took. Here's what happened...

I started my 11 o'clock morning wading up along the uneven granite banks of the river that will be unnamed. My game plan was to explore and fish new water before reaching the "Glory Hole." Trekking through endless thorns and slippery rock, the detour was worth it. I arrived to "the spot" right on schedule with a couple of hours of light left and I was already pushing a 30 fish day ( I don't know how many but it was good...) After poking a few more, I hooked a real fighter. Her take was more deliberate than any other fish and she took off faster than the current. Through the water I could see my pale green line bow to the shape of a C against the friction of the water. 50 Feet later, she broke the surface. After revealing herself a few more times, I noticed a rather large red shape on her back. Regaining line, I could see this rose colored imperfection beneath the water's surface making its way closer to me. My original thoughts were that I snagged a peddle of a flower that "zip lined" its way to the back of the fish. To my surprise it was a hole in the fish too large and to fresh for any fish to fight that hard. Despite the inevitable, I still released her in hopes that the wound would some how heal. Hopefully Wonda didn't suffer?

Thinking back on that fish, it was probably bitten by an otter in mid fight... that would explain the sudden surge of line take.

Any experienced animal behavior input out there?

John Ng


No comments:

Post a Comment