End of the Season Blues

Scaled Quail Country

Ted pointing a running covey


Spot pointing the Blues



Blue Quail and the trusty G.Lewis
What  started off to be a tough day turned around ,thanks to two coveys of Blue or Scaled Quail.
Prior to the "Blues" Tish and I got into two coveys of Gambles Quail ,except for one bird the first covey disappeared into a wash  and I missed when Tish flushed  the single .I thought the second covey was going to be easy pickings , it was for Tish who made  three different flushes on singles and pairs but I blew all my shots.I hoped I was not entering a shooting slump (my excuse) .My next loop was with Sam ,Hilda and Martha , and after chasing a covey of Gambles for 200 yards they to eluded us .
Things started to look up when a Covey of Blues ran across the road ,Tish was all over it flushing several birds this time I connected with  two of them .Next out of the dog box was Ted ,Spot and Reba who also got into a running covey of Gambles which got away from us .This was my last loop of the season  so the pressure was on to shoot a least one more bird before heading home .
After about a mile I turned the dogs back towards the truck ,All three dogs started the usual point then relocate.With my gun at the ready I covered their points to no avail  then under the pressure from the dogs and myself the covey of Blues jumped up wild and I made a "did I do that"long  shot on one of the birds .
I ended the season right then and there and on a good note.We headed back to the truck then home to watch the Super Bowl.
I suppose I could  head over to New Mexico  or up to Nevada and carry on but I am done .We have been going hard since mid -September so now it is time to start thinking fishing ,tying flies and training dogs .Tish needs to work on her blind retrieves and the Pointers need to be worked towards being steady to wing and shot , not field trail broke but tighter than what they are now.
At any rate I am looking forward to what lays ahead on all fronts and I like to thank the readers who followed our season ,your presence and comments on this site helped inspire me to post more often than not.

Thanks

Dave Brown

Hilda checking out an old building

AZ scenery

Geronimo Battle site 
Reba on Point
The area of the season's last loop
Reba & Spot working running birds
Spot retrieves the last Bird
Dixie brings back a bird that I threw for her
The reward for the day

Reba backing Spot

Blue Quail

No comments:

Post a Comment