Montana Redux

Kelly Galloup talkingStreamer fly tying 


I have been in Montana since Monday ,fishing the Madison and Missouri rivers plus reconnecting with friends en route.The Madison experience was  good ,fishing the stretch (and the only clean water)  between Hebgen and Quake lakes I managed to hook land and loose a few fish a bonus was running into my friend Kelly Galloup  owner of the Slide Inn   and well known Fly-fishing Guru.As usual when Kelly and I get together a few beers are consumed and good times are had .Next on my list was the Missouri River , fishing out of Headhunters Fly-shop , I have been floating and fishing the Mighty Mo.
Conditions in Montana are tough , most of the river's are blown out from a combination of rain and runoff.Although high and a little cloudy the Missouri river is fishing well  provided you don't mind nymphing with a lot of lead to get your flies down  .
The Shop Rats and Guides that I have been fishing with have all been experimenting with a variety of rigs , so far with the higher flows  the Bow River Worm Rig has been the most consistent .
I am going to float the Missouri for a couple more days then head to Fernie  to set up for the Summer, the high water conditions we are experiencing  are going to keep things interesting ..stay tuned !









No comments:

Post a Comment