Fishing & Photography

Fly fishers often spend so much time focusing on catching fish that they lose focus on what surrounds them. Fish live in beautiful places, if you haven't noticed. I love fly-fishing, but I also love making pictures.

On the water I carry an 8.1 mega pixel Sony Cyber-Shot "point and shoot." It's user-friendly, but has many functions for the more advanced picture taker. It's not waterproof but can handle a splatter of water once in a while. The picture of the High Sierra mountains (upper right) was taken with my Sony Cyber-Shot.

I also have a Nikon D-40 Digital SLR camera I use for more advanced shooting. Photographers call this camera an "amateur" camera, as opposed to a "professional" grade camera. While there may be some truth to that, my D-40 is much more advanced than anything Ansel Adams ever dreamed of. I don't carry my Nikon on the water. It's lightweight but too big.

The picture of the red thistle (above left) was taken with my Nikon D-40 after a day of fishing on Wolf Creek in northern California's Alpine County.

So, if you love fly-fishing consider adding photography to your hobby. You will be enriched greatly. Back away from the water for a little while and you will find stunning landscapes, beautiful flowers and wildlife.

Click here to see some of the pictures I've taken while on fly-fishing trips at the Virtual Fly Guides Facebook Page.

Additionally, whether you are a Nikon enthusiast or not, you will find Ken Rockwell's website very helpful. Check him out at http://www.kenrockwell.com.

Make sure you post your pics of fish and scenery, and your fishing reports, on the Virtual Fly Guides bulletin board http://tinyurl.com/yhsgtye.

Tight Lines and Good Pictures,

Sean Wallentine
Co-Founder, The Virtual Fly Guides

No comments:

Post a Comment