Putah Creek, CA Fly Fishing Report

Sean Wallentine
Sacramento, CA

Body of Water:
Putah Creek, CA
Date: Monday, December 21, 2009
# of Fish Caught: 4
Species: Rainbow Trout
Size: 19", 21", 22", 22"
Effective Flies: #22 Killer (peacock hurl head and red chenille body/tail)

Summary:
Fished alone from 8am to 1pm. Weather was great. It was about 50 degrees, foggy in the morning, mostly cloudy with no wind. It started getting breezy and began raining at 1pm when I called it quits.

Water flows were good, about 100 cfs is my best guess. Regular winter lows. The fish were very active. I fished below the campground at a place called "the point."

I used 6lb flourocarbon tippet and a very small (#22) midge called a "Killer." It as no bead, a peacock hurl head and a body/tail of red chenille.

It was important to use the stronger tippet because I caught some big fish. Landed four fish that were 19", 21", and two 22-inch Rainbows.

Great day on the creek!

No comments:

Post a Comment