Return of the Lewis gun


                                    The G Lewis 16 Gauge 

After a busy guide season last year I came to the conclusion that I needed a new Toy in the form of another 16 gauge British side by side.After surfing the net , the one that I thought would suite me the best was at Hill Rod and Gun in Bozeman MT.  After a few calls and emails to Charlie the check was in the mail . Charlie was going to bend the stock (cast on) another concern was that the  G.Lewis Boxlock was choked IC and LT.MOD, I  made the decision to shoot the gun and take it from there .
When the gun arrived I was like a kid at Christmas and headed straight out to hunt with it .I shot a Quail then decided that the chokes needed to be opened up after all this was now a Quail Gun ! it would no longer need the tight chokes that the previous owner needed in Montana who no doubt used the gun to pursue   Ditch Parrots, Huns and Sharptails, while in my hands the G.Lewis was not going North, that is what the German Gun is for .
The tubes where sent to Brileys and anticapation once again set in ,days then weeks went by, soon I would be heading out to Oklahoma and although I had other Side by Sides to shoot none at the time compared to the "sexy' feel of the Lewis gun .
Birley's phoned while I was enroute to OK I asked  them overnight the barrels to me ..I was stoked !
With the stock work that was done the gun fit perfectly , the gun was now choked Skeet 1 and Skeet 2 , the perfect Quail chokes ! I shot doubles on Bobwhites with it ,then back in Arizona I managed to shot a few doubles on Mearns, then I cracked the wrist which opened up another dilema ,have the gun re-stocked or  get the stock pinned ? After several phone calls and advise from friends over beers I decided on the later and now FINALLY  the work is complete with a new leather pad to boot.
I am driving up to Phoenix in the morning to pick up the Lewis Gun and drop off the "High Country "
Mearns Gun ,which is a very pretty  20 gauge AYA Side Lock  ,in the meantime I will have the G. Lewis to Shoot , hopefully the "High Country "Mearns gun will be ready when I get back from Oklahoma as I am already  "jonesing" to get my hands on it .

 Dave with  High Plains "Spot "  the G.Lewis and a Mearns  "double "

No comments:

Post a Comment