Stillwater Marathon Day 3

Lake 1 - Fan
Well it was day three the end of the Marathon. I headed north of Spokane and fished some mixed species lakes. The first was Fan. This is a beautiful lake almost divided in two with a small channel about 25' wide. There are bass crappie and blugill plus there are catchable size rainbows planted each year. The lake was 59 degrees just about right to get the trout going and a little cool for real good bass fishing. I really wanted to catch some fish at this lake, the setting was so cool it just deserved to put out some fish. But wishin' did not make it happen. Got blanked.
The lake does hold some memories, my son John and I attended a YMCA Indian Guides campout there about 30 years ago we caught turtles for racing, paddled canoes aroung the lake and tipped one over in the middle of the lake.. The turtles are still there some looked fast.

Lake 2 - Eloika Lake
This is a spiny ray lake. crappies, and large mouth bass.
Caught fish right away some nice Crappie one at 11" mostly smaller. One LMB, I worked the lily pads with a foam popper that I have been tying and had one swirl at it but no hook-ups I still think is a little early for top-water action.
I headed back to the launch with one more lake in mind to finish the day. The wind picked up and as is usually the case when heading back the wind is ALWAYS against you. It was a long row in the pontoon. By the time I reached the shore I was done..

So the 12 lakes in three days was going to be 9 lakes in three days. My goal was pretty optimistic and the thing that did me in was getting to the quality spots on the lake to fish and then getting back. If my goal was just to get on the lake and paddle around I could have made it. My goal was to have a quality fishing experience on each lake and try as hard as possible to catch fish. I accomplished that goal and I had a blast. Fishing this many different lakes was interesting each lake had to be figured out individually. What worked at one lake certainly did not transfer to the next one. I had three rods rigged at all times, one with a floating line, one with a 3 ips and one with a 6 ips. I used them all and caught fish with each one. I trolled, Cast and stripped, bobber fished and long lined with a chironomid and the 6. All were successful in their places.
I fished from my pontoon, no motor, I got lots of exercise I do have a few pictures that I will post later.

Recap: Lakes fished 9. Caught fish in 6.
Fish caught; 42, 4 species. Largest 25"
Most productive; Williams.
Best experience; Fishtrap.
Best scenery; hard to pick but I have to say Fan.
Will I do it again? Absolutely. Next year maybe more days so each lake is not a rush.
Tomorrow is the Spokane Fly Fishers one fly contest I will be there at West Medical the lake that kicked my butt on Thursday. Round two will be different

No comments:

Post a Comment