Stillwater marathon Day Two

Day two is history. Here is the report:

Lake 1 - West Medical
Started the day at W. Medical. This is a put and take lake that has a reputation for producing lots and lots of fish. Some carryover and many strong last fall planters. This year it was expected to be the a gem in the Spokane are. So far it has been a bust.

I got to the lake rigged and on the water by 9:00 a.m. I tried all of the usual suspects and all the regular spots and nothing... I was determined to catch at least one fish on each water today so I kep at it. After nearly three hours of nothing I hooked a fish on a black #18 Chironomid. It turned out to be an epic battle with a monster fish. My Measure Net is a 24" size and I had a tough time netting the fish. It Wouldn't go in the net. I finally scooped it and when evenly laying in the net it was past the marks on both ends so AT LEAST 25" I think more. It must have weighed 8 lbs. Over three hours on the first lake my 4 lake schedule was whacked.

Lake 2 - Medical Lake
Quickly off the lake and over to Medical Lake. Launched and noticed a Water Boatman hatch tried a couple patterns had some takes but no hookups. Went another route with a leggy wine colored squirrel leach. I scored right away. Turned out to be a 19" rainbow it was a great fish it jumped 4 times a couple of full flips. I haven't have a fish this big jump like this (except Steehead). Moved on.
Next stop Clear Lake.

Lake 3 - Clear Lake
Got on the lake at about 3.00 and had a few grabs on leeches and buggers no hook-ups. Put on a Doc Spratley and it was game on. Caught 6 fish in 6 casts hard fighting fish all about 10" long. Next cast had a hit and gently set the hook readfy for another small planter. It tugged back and started taking out line. Landed it a few minutes later 17" bright carry-over. If you want to learn some lake fishing techniques, or teach a newbie or do you want to get your young kids or grandkids into some fish this would be a good place. Lots of eager smaller fish with the chance to catch a few big fish.
Off the lake at 4.00 I thought about trying to get to Silver to make 4 lakes today but I took a wrong turn trying to find the state launch and ended up on I-90.
Called it quits one short for day two.

Recap
7 lakes, fish caught in 5 of them, fish total 35 fish, largest 25+ at West Medical, most fun fish the jumper at Medical, where I can't wait to get back, Fishtrap. Miles driven 130.
Tomorrow to the north of Spokane; Eloika, Fan, and maybe Sacheen, Diamond or Horseshoe.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment